Assistant Professor of Economics
University of British Columbia (Okanagan Campus)
Labour Economics, Applied Econometrics, Economics of Education, Economics of Immigration, Personnel Economics.
• “Noise or News? Learning About the Content of Test-Based School Achievement Measures”, 2015, The Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Topics), 15(3): 14147-1453. [Download]
• “Fiscal Transfers to Immigrants in Canada” (with Krishna Pendakur), 2014, Journal of International Migration and Integration, 15(5):777-797. [Download]
• “How do school ‘report cards’ affect school choice decisions?” (with Jane Friesen, Justin Smith and Simon Woodcock), 2012, Canadian Journal of Economics, 45(2):784-807. [Download]
• “The Effect of Chinese FDI in BC and other Jurisdictions”, Prepared for the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada and BC Ministry of International Trade, February 2014.
• “Immigrants and the Canadian Economy” (with David Jacks and Krishna Pendakur) Metropolis British Columbia Working Paper, No. 12-09.
This paper was one of the four comprehensive reports that summarize research output over the 16 year history of the Metropolis BC project and was presented at Metropolis BC final event, September 12, 2012.
• “The Effect of the Career Transition Assistance (CTA) Initiative on the Timing of Training Participation and the Duration of Training” (with Simon Woodcock).
A study prepared for Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), formly known as Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), January 2013.
Work in Progress:
• “Canadian Immigrants and Training Opportunities: Evidence from Canadian Linked Employer-Employee Data” (with Benoit Dostie, HEC Montreal).
• “The Effect of Test-Based Information on School Enrollment Growth” (with Jane Friesen and Simon Woodcock, SFU).
• “What Makes a Successful Movie? (preliminary title)”, with John Abowd (Cornell) and Simon Woodcock (SFU).
• “Surveying Views Among Economists (preliminary title)”, with Ha-Joon Chang (Cambridge).
• “Satisfaction and Labour Turn-over “, with Kelly Bedard (UC Santa Barbara).
• “Unintended Consequences: The Effect of Immigration Crackdown on Public Safety“.
• “Income Inequality, Geography, and Life Expectancy“ (with Michele Battisti, CESifo Munich).