Katate-dori (Nage offers Uke left hand), Gyaku Hanmi, Uchi kaiten-nage, Omote-waza (Nage steps through).
Katate-dori (Nage offers Uke right hand), Gyaku Hanmi, Soto kaiten-nage, Ura-waza (Nage does not step through).
Katate-dori (Nage offers Uke left hand palm up), Yonkyo, step through, Uke does forward roll
Right Kosa-dori, Ai Hanmi, Step through as in Oshi-taoshi (Omote), pick up right hand in Sankyo, Ura-waza.
- Left Kosa-dori, Ai Hanmi, Step through as in Oshi-Ttaoshi (Omote), keep left hand blade, pick up left hand in Nikyo. Osae on floor.
- Left Kosa-dori, Ai Hanmi, Offer Uke your left hand, Tenkan to Uke’s left side, pick up his left hand with your right, do kote-gaeshi, do standing pin.
- Left Kosa-dori, Ai Hanmi, Tenkan and oshi-taoshi, Ura-waza and osae on floor.
Kata III (Ju-Nana Hon Kata) Kihon Hiji Waza. Demonstrate blade on blade.
Ryote-dori, irimi-nage, movement against Uke’s hands occurs at the Jodan posture. Enter on Uke’s right side, step into Shikaku and throw.
Ryote-dori, tenchi-nage, step through on Uke’s left side and throw.
- Ryote-dori, oshi-taoshi, Uke is lead to Nage’s left side, Nage’s right hand picks up Uke’s right hand, enter in Oshi-Taoshi, Ura. Apply osae on floor.
- Ryote-dori, shiho-nage, Uke is lead to Nage’s right side, turn back in and apply Shihonage, Omote.
- Ryote-dori, kote-gaeshi, Uke is lead to Nage’s left side. Apply Kote-gaeshi against Uke’s right hand.
- Ryote-dori, sayo-Nage, enter into uke’s right side.
- Ryote-dori, kokyu nage, enter to Uke’s left side.
- Happo Undo (Tenkan)(Hidari and Migi)
Happo Shomen-uchi Ikkyo Undo
- A better understanding and proficiency of all 5th kyu requirements are presupposed. You may be asked to demonstrate any of the 5th kyu techniques listed.
- Even though some of the techniques are similar to the 5th kyu techniques, it does not mean this demonstration is the same. Shisei, foot movement, irimi, and tenkan should be more refined. Movement is more active and “Aiki- like,” awareness more spherical.
- Techniques should be more precisely expressed.
- The overall flow of the techniques must not be lost in the interest of capturing and applying techniques on body parts ( like the arm in Ikkyo or the wrist in Nikyo).
- Have a deeper understanding of the basic Aikido principles and movement listed for 5th kyu. Start to understand the principles of absorbing the attack, awareness of openings, and awareness of other possible attackers.