Current Research Projects
Databases on Embedded Devices and Applications of Environmental and Industrial Sensors
This project has built low-cost sensor nodes for use in irrigation and environmental monitoring and a relational SQL database engine for embedded sensors. Research is focused on system deployment issues including minimizing energy consumption by intelligent design of algorithms for flash memory storage and database algorithms. Our goal is to build a complete database system for embedded devices with maximum performance and a minimum memory footprint. We are deploying our research in environmental monitoring domains including irrigation management. Our sensor-based irrigation system reduced water usage by up to 50% when deployed in a City of Kelowna park.
- Adapting Linear Hashing for Flash Memory Resource-Constrained Embedded Devices, 21st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2019).
- Faster Sorting for Flash Memory Embedded Devices, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2019 (CCECE 2019).
- Experimental Evaluation of Hash Function Performance on Embedded Devices, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2018 (CCECE 2018).
- Continuous Integration Platform for Arduino Embedded Software, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2017 (CCECE 2017).
- TEFS: A Flash File System for Use on Memory Constrained Devices, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2016 (CCECE 2016).
- Efficient SQL Querying on Embedded Devices using Pre-Compilation, Applied Computing Review, June 2016, Volume 16, Number 2, pages 42-47.
- Write Improvement Strategies for Serial NOR Dataflash Memory, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2016 (CCECE 2016).
- Improving SQL Query Performance on Embedded Devices using Pre-Compilation, 31st Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'16), pages 961-964. Best Paper Award.
- Key-Value Store Implementations for Arduino Microcontrollers, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2015 (CCECE 2015), pages 158-164.
- LittleD: A SQL Database for Sensor Nodes and Embedded Applications, 29th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'14). [23% Acceptance Rate]
- A Holistic Framework for Water Sustainability and Education in Municipal Green Spaces, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2012 (CCECE'12), May 2012. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Fast Sorting on Flash Memory Sensor Nodes, International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS'10), 105-113. Montreal, Canada. [17% Acceptance Rate]
- Reducing Turfgrass Water Consumption using Sensor Nodes and an Adaptive Irrigation Controller,
IEEE SAS 2010 - IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium [60% Acceptance Rate - Best Student Paper of 17 student papers], February 2010.
- Cluster Head Selection using RF Signal Strength,
CCECE 2009 - IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering 2009, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, May 2009.